City of Cedar Park 40th Anniversary: 40 Years and Beyond
In this CPTV-10 special, we take a look back at the history of Cedar Park.
17 Mile Stage Coach Marker
Minos M. Long owned and operated the Austin to Lampasas Stage Line from 1872 to 1877. Along the line were stage stops for replacing horse teams, which were located at Running Brushy, Liberty Hill, and Burnet. After 1877, the stage line passed through Round Rock. Chiseled with "A.17.M", the limestone marker signals the 17-mile distance from 1880's downtown Austin to Cedar Park.
Austin and the Northwest Railroad
The tracks we use are part of what was the Llano subdivision of the Austin division of the Southern Pacific railroad. The section from Giddings to Austin was built by the Houston & Texas Central Railroad and completed in 1871. This was the first railroad into Austin. The capital city's first train arrived via the H&TC on Christmas Day, 1871. In a separate business enterprise, the line west of Austin to Llano was chartered on April 20, 1881, as the Austin & Northwestern Railroad. The intent of the A&NW was to link Austin with the Texas & Pacific line at Abilene, however, no track was ever laid west of Llano. The railroad was originally built as a narrow gauge line, with 3 feet between the rails instead of the standard 4 feet - 8.5 inches. The line reached Burnet in 1882. It was extended to Granite Mountain in 1885 and began hauling pink granite to Austin for the Texas Capitol building.
Heritage Oak Tree
This 400-year-old majestic live oak tree is decorated with over 30,000 lights each year in December to kick off the holiday season. It stands a lofty fifty-seven feet tall with a spread of eighty feet.
Cedar Park Cemetery
In 1901, after the death of an infant grandson, the Clucks set aside over 7 acres of land to be used as a family cemetery. Many Cluck family members are buried there, along with neighbors and friends. Later the cemetery was divided by 183, resulting in .5 acres lying east of the highway (now occupied by the Sonic). The cemetery on the opposite side holds the Clucks and other founding family members, including McRae, Jackson, and Stewart. Located at the West Park St. and Bell Blvd., the back portion of the cemetery features George and Harriet Cluck headstones and other Cluck relatives.
Cedar Park Historical Marker
The pioneers who settled in Williamson County were rugged, courageous, and enterprising, as was Harriet (Hattie) Standefer's family, who made the perilous trek from Alabama. Later Hattie married George W. Cluck, an aspiring cattle baron. Interestingly, the Clucks were some of the first to ride the famous Chisholm Trail. Legend has it that Hattie was the first white woman to go up the trail and that was also known as "the Queen of the Chisholm Trail." While raising a family, the Clucks operated many businesses and, as such, were the primary colonizers of what is now Cedar Park. In the end, the Clucks forged a new community that embodies their same ambitious spirit and generosity.
New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery
Although the church was not formally chartered until 1868, services were likely held as early as 1848. From 1871 to 1919, the church was also used as a school. Originally located on the head waters of Blockhouse Creek, New Hope Baptist Church was rebuilt several times and now stands at the intersection of US 183 and new Hope Road. The cemetery was established in 1869 and holds more than 70 unmarked graves, yet many headstones mark the names of well-known colonizers who shaped the community.